This study, undertaken by the NUI Galway and the University of Limerick, uses research data to quantify the fate of exported European plastic waste destined for recycling and how much of it ends up as ocean plastic debris. It highlights the importance of verifiable reporting and documenting of trade in waste plastic globally.
How the Prevented Ocean Plastic guidelines work
- Working based on academic definitions for ocean bound plastic.
- Applying OceanCycle certification.
- Providing full traceability from coastline of collection, to final product on shelves.
- All plastic products with our stamp use a minimum of 30% Prevented Ocean Plastic, with many products over 50% inclusion.
- Substantial and real industry level recycling.