Like many businesses around the world, the plastic recycling industry has been hit hard by the pandemic, with many recycling ventures shrinking between 20%-60%. Set against the backdrop of an ongoing price war between recycled plastic and virgin plastic, and oil companies betting on revenue from plastic production as the move towards electric vehicles becomes a reality, this five-part special investigation by Joe Brock, reveals challenging times ahead not only for the industry, but also for our oceans.
How the Prevented Ocean Plastic guidelines work
- Working based on academic definitions for ocean bound plastic.
- Applying OceanCycle certification.
- Providing full traceability from coastline of collection, to final product on shelves.
- All plastic products with our stamp use a minimum of 30% Prevented Ocean Plastic, with many products over 50% inclusion.
- Substantial and real industry level recycling.